-->

Thursday 28 February 2013

Connie's Diary: Feb 28 Part 1

We welcomed Thursday morning in with an interview with Dylan Lewis and Shane Lowe on Nova from the red bus, parked on the corner of a busy intersection. It was so funny, they asked the listeners to hoot if they saw us as they drov by and heaps of people hooted their horns. Every time, Dylan would  throw his arm up in acknowledgement, striking a pose not unlike John Travolta during his ‘staying alive’ dance. That Dylan is such a character. And check out producers Tim’s cool Hawaiian shirt and matching shorts, he must have been freeeeezing, ‘cos I was cold and I had trackies on!



Then we went to a park and did a live cross to my favorite morning show host, Mr Karl Stefanovic at the Today Show. I have never done a cross before. It is such a strange experience because you are talking into the camera, but you can hear the person loud and clear. It was great to talk to Karl again, the support of Karl and The Today Show is so important to Love Your Sister because it really helps us spread the word.




Then it was down the street to the studios of Mix102.3 and an interview with Jodie, Mark and Snowy. What an interview! We were there for half an hour and were chatting while the songs were playing, and they asked if they could ask some difficult questions. I said yes, I talk about my cancer and our family situation so much I didn’t think they could ask anything so difficult that they could make me cry in a quick radio interview. How wrong I was! They managed to cut to the heart of the matter in a couple of questions. Sam and I were both crying, the hosts were crying, it was really emotional. I felt so much during that interview it was really honest and I felt a little exposed, but I thought it would be good for people to hear about some of the issues that we tackle, not just the fun of riding a unicycle and getting sore butt cheeks. I wonder how people felt when they were listening, if it came across as emotionally as it felt for us in the studio?



Then we went to Cafe Scuzzi down the road and stayed there for an hour or so while people came down to meet Sam, get info on Love Your Sister and to buy merchandise. I got to meet some people I had been talking to on Facebook and some people who had been listening to the radio earlier so it was lovely to chat to people to whom the Love Your Sister cause means so much as well. And a shout out to Adam and Sonia who I met there, lovely to put a face to the name!


Then we hit the road and Sam rode the unicycle to Hahndorf. It was a real experience for me, following him in the van while he rode. Our sister Hilde and our cousin John rode with him on push bikes through the Hills of Adelaide. Whilst Hilde and John put in valiant efforts, they didn’t last as long as Samuel, it made me realise just how hard he has to work every day to do the k’s he is doing. It was also really interesting to see to how the team works together to keep Samuel safe.




Jon Bon Jonno rides behind him on the motorbike, then, Ley Ley follows them both in the van. They travel at 10-15km/h so hold up the traffic. The shoulder is often narrow or non-existent. Ley Ley and Jon Bon Jonno keep in touch by radio that is wired to the motorbike helmet and Ley Ley talks to truckies on the CB radio as they approach, warning them of the unicyclist ahead. The support vehicles periodically pass the unicycle and pull over so that traffic can pass. I think they are doing everything they can to keep Samuel safe, but it makes me worry. My brother and my nephew are out there riding on the side of roads on the unicycle and motorbike and we rely on all road users for their safety. Thanks to all the truckies and drivers who have kept him safe so far!  


Part 2 soon…

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Sam and Connie read every comment.