-->

Sunday 17 February 2013

Connie's Diary: Launch Day! (Part 2)

Then it comes time to thank Sam and say goodbye to him and I have to choke back the tears. What he is doing for me, and for women and families all around Australia is amazing, awe inspiring and I cannot think of enough ways to describe my gratitude to him, my faith in him, and my love for him.


Then it is over to Garvan, who are constantly working towards cures and better treatments for all kinds of diseases, including Cancer, and Kylie Sherwood Kelly gives a very touching speech about their involvement in Love Your Sister, and I learn, after working with her for nearly 2 years, that she lost her mother to cancer when she was just 7 years old. Cancer really doesn’t discriminate, it effects everyone in some way or another.


Deb from the Bendigo Bank then talks about their commitment to Love Your Sister, I am so proud to call them our partners, as they are truly a community based organisation, that cares about its people, it is a really good match for LYS and we are honoured to have them on board our little engine that could.


While Molly and Brigitte are winding things up, Willoughby says very earnestly to Samuel, ‘How long will it take you to ride all the way around Australia?’ and when he answers that it will take a long time, almost a year, Willoughby replies innocently, ‘can you please hurry so I can see you again soon, I will miss you Uncle Sammy, and you have to be careful riding your unicycle, because it is very dangerous and I don’t want you to fall off’, to which Hamilton adds ‘and make sure you go into your caravan when there is a storm, it is safe in there’ Bless their hearts, so big it’s surprising they fit in their little bodies!




The helicopter is circling above, to get aerial shots of Sam riding through the heart shaped human tunnel, it’s time for him to get on the Uni and ride away, I am so full of mixed emotions, proud of him, excited for him, but also sad that I must bid him farewell, but he will only be gone a year, and I fully intend to be here when he gets back.


Before I know it, the helmet goes on and he is up on the uni riding down a ridiculously narrow ramp, through the human tunnel and away. I feel so triumphant, that we have been able to pull this all together and get him on the road, but I am just so sad to see him go, that I just cry and cry.


But there isn’t time for tears, there are heaps of people milling about, waiting to meet me, little old me! Can you believe it, I can’t! I get the chance now to meet heaps of people who stood out in the hot sun during the whole proceedings and waited patiently for their chance for a photo, and autograph, a chat or a hug.




A special call out to Margie from Mornington High, you are so beautiful and so sensitive, you made me want to cry, I will come and visit you and all the crew at Mornington high when Sam gets back to Melbourne. It will be great to come back to my old high school and see you all.




After all the excitement was over I found a couch in the transit bar and laid down with my feet up and drank 2 huge glasses of lemonade to rejuvenate for a quiet and happy afternoon with some dear family friends of ours, Paul and Kate, and their wonderful boys Kit and Darcy, who Willoughby and Hamilton just adore.


Before I knew it I was back at Fed Square to watch Sam cross live from Bacchus Marsh (his first stop on this massive journey) on The Project. Had the pleasure of catching up with some of the survivors, and siblings of survivors, and some siblings of those who weren’t so lucky, from back in the days of my first cancer. It was the perfect way to top off a very emotional but wonderful day.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Sam and Connie read every comment.