-->

Saturday 16 February 2013

It has Begun!

I thought this would be the best day of my life. All of the hard work over the last two years finally coming to bear. All of my friends and family together. I had absolutely no idea how hard it was going to be to say goodbye.



I’ve always done the ‘ghostie’ to avoid goodbyes. I’m that guy at the dinner or gathering that disappears without a word. I’ve always hated goodbyes. I don’t know why I thought this would be any different.


The day itself is an amalgam of frenetic snapshots. Anxiety at no one turning up, fear that I’d fall at the first hurdle (a motorbike ramp coming down off the Fed Square stage), photos for everyone, smiles, thank-you’s, not enough time to see my family and friends, so many news cameras (you mean this whole thing might actually work!), more people than I could poke a stick at, Mornington Secondary standing stoically through the heat (onya Mitch!), Molly annointing my sis with a pink akubra, my nephew Willoughby on stage, grabbing my hand and saying ‘will you ride extra quickly so you can come back soon for me?’, my sister and her amazing speech (I can’t believe how much she makes me cry sometimes) and then that beautiful moment at the end where everything chrystallised into one moment of colour and clarity.



The human tunnel! Riding through that love heart of people, all saying yay for Love Your Sister gave me an incalculable amount of joy. Hats off to every single person t hat came to Fed Square. What a send off. Connie and I feel most special.




I competed in an ‘Apple Pie Triathlon  at Bacchus Marsh upon arrival. First leg - bobbing for apples; second leg, peeling and cutting; third leg, pastry, flour and sugar. Well whaddya know if the whole thing didn’t turn into a massive food fight! I’m loving these challenges that communities are setting me along the way. We raised $500 as well! Thanks to everyone at Bacchus for welcoming us so warmly. 

Find more photos on our Instagram account!

More photos to come…

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Sam and Connie read every comment.