-->

Thursday 14 March 2013

LYS Diary: Day 20 Wilmington

The good folk of Wilmington did a ripper job of things today! I met with the kiddlies at their primary school and they walked me to their rodeo, where I was promptly put me in a pink tutu, with pink lippy and nail polish to boot. And that was just the entree! Thankfully, they had selected a steer for me to attempt to ride, as opposed to a bull. Even so, it was quite frightening at first, but adrenaline soon kicked in and after my first ride, I was begging for more. Luckily they had brought three steers with them! 



I was then encouraged to go along to their bowling club to ‘relax’. It sounded like fun after a long day. Little did I know that they had concocted a secret ‘bush-tucker challenge’ for me…to eat a live huntsman. I thought they were joking, until Geoff there pulled out a jar full of them. Now I’m seriously arachnophobic. Not just a little scared of spiders; a lot scared of them. It stems back to a childhood trauma, as most phobias do. I tried to get into the spirit of it, but I could barely hold the damn thing, let alone crunch away at it. But it was for a donation to the cause, and I’m the silly one who asked towns to dare me, so there was nothing to do but push on, chew it and swallow. It was one of the most traumatic things I’ve ever been involved in, but afterwards I felt strangely liberated. As if I could do anything! No wonder…I had just conquered one of my biggest fears in one of the biggest ways possible. Thank you Wilmington for helping me rid myself of the ‘city-boy’ tag!



Disclaimer : This is the last time I’ll eat anything alive. No similar challenges will be entered into hereforth!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Sam and Connie read every comment.