-->

Monday 8 April 2013

LYS Diary: Uluru/Yalara Part 1

After 2000 clicks we rolled into Uluru, suspecting it might be special, but with no real idea of just how special. Remarkable people, breathtaking surrounds and spiritual experiences abounded. I’m kinda lost for words, but will try to find some that go part of the way towards explaining what we went through. Pictures will help though, like this one of Uluru at sunrise!




One of the first things I did was visit the Wakagetti Cultural Dancers. Before each dance a story was told to help explain the origins of the dance and its cultural significance. I was struck by the humility with which they thanked the creator of each piece. They flipped from being spiritual, to funny, to dramatic, to insightful, to inclusive. They invited the the crowd up to dance with them and that was all the encouragement I needed! I was terrible, of course, for I don’t have that rich and ancient culture coursing through my veins, but I found it to be a most uplifting experience and I was very grateful for the opportunity. My thanks to Michael (above right) for welcoming me so warmly, promoting our cause and inviting me into his circle of friends. What a privilege.





The next morning I did a sunrise tour of Kata Tjuta (translates into ‘many heads’), formerly known as The Olgas.




I toured with a terrific group of Yanks. I worded them up on the whole LoveYourSister fiasco and they loved the idea of our challenge system. So much so that they dared me to stealth-kiss Mike for the princely sum of 200 bucks for the cause. Whilst I had reservations about infringing on someone’s personal space, I was assured that everything would be ok. So, around the brekky table, I pounced and planted a big pucker on Mike’s lips. He was an absolute sport and his travelling party were only too happy to part with the money. Laughs aplenty, for sure. It was interesting, in hindsight, that I kissed a man in Kata Tjuta, which is a men-only space for the indigenous! This is Mike, below - a great fella with a priceless sense of fun.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Sam and Connie read every comment.