-->

Thursday 30 May 2013

Connie's Blog: Breakout of Hospital

Well, I arrived in Darwin and had a – let’s say – eventful evening (read – disastrous). I started to feel quite unwell and was in a bit of pain before I got on the plane. I just got progressively worse throughout the flight, so when I arrived, I had a sleep for 5 hours. That refreshed me somewhat, but I was very disappointed when Sam came to wake me up because I discovered that I had missed the whole evening with my family and some of the Darwin crew. I find I am missing so much these days, but it was great to wake up and have everyone there.


I didn’t last long before I started to feel really sick and Steve and Michelle, who I was staying with in Darwin rushed me off to the hospital ‘cos I passed out. Really I just wanted to keep them on their toes, and check out the Darwin health care system. I was very well looked after and all of the staff were very compassionate and caring.


In the morning I felt dreadful, and when I looked at myself in the mirror I got the shock of my life, I looked awful, but I had some radio interviews that I really didn’t want to miss, and I was so keen on the even organised for this morning, Wulagi Primary School.


I asked if I could leave hospital yet, and they said I could leave, but it would be against medical advice. I must have still been high from the adrenaline they had given me earlier, and had some sort of super human strength, invincibility thing going on and decided that I would break out, and come back a bit later to finish any treatment and get some more rest if I started to go downhill again.


With some help, I busted out and ventured off to the radio stations. First I met Tom and Courts at Hot 100 and had a great chat with them, then went over to the Mix 104.9 and met Mel. I had a blast talking to Tom and Courts and then had a bit of a cry talking to Mel. These interviews are a strange thing, sometimes it is all fun and jokes, and in others they pull on the heart strings, and you never know what it is going to be, then it all happens so quickly that you hardly have time to process what has happened until much later.



Sam was funny when I met up with him just before the hot 100 interview, and the look on his face when he saw me told me how terrible I still looked, then when we were on air he tried to explain how he felt in that moment when he saw me and he said that I looked like a Christmas tree with all the tubes hanging off my arms and diodes stuck all over me. He has never been good with hospital stuff, and times like this remind me just how hard he finds all things sick and hospital. He really is facing his fears in so many ways on this journey, and his fear of hospitals is one of the biggest ones. He is a brave man, and so strong the way he is embracing the challenges along the way, and also trying to be supportive of me while I am in hospital and not at my best. 


Keep informed on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram 


Of course, please continue your support by donating!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Sam and Connie read every comment.