-->

Sunday 9 June 2013

Connie's Diary: Raintree Park

Raintree Park is right in the middle of Darwin, or it seems to be to me, an outsider and we had a bbq and get together there today. Thanks to Darwin City Council, we were able to use this space for fundraising and meeting people and spreading the booby trap awareness message. I was late, but I eventually summoned up the energy to go along and I was so glad I did. When I arrived Sam was talking on the microphone, addressing the crowd and I went up and stood next to him while he was talking about me, he was so happy to see me, but then, unexpectedly, he handed to microphone over to me, I was so unprepared, but I had a chat with the crowd and the day progressed nicely.


One Mob are a group of dancers from different tribes around the Northern Territory. They danced and played music and were wonderful. The dance and music was so expressive and it was great to have some custodians of the land welcome us and invite us to Darwin. I felt honoured to be welcomed in this way.


Then Mick cracked his whip, what an amazing skill, he makes it look so easy, cracking his whip at a rate of notes, and so musically it sounded like the beat of a song, and all without breaking sweat. Sam gave it a go and mastered it after about 10 tries, then he was challenged to crack the whip whilst riding a unicycle – and he did it. When he completed the challenge everyone screamed and clapped madly, there was a real sense of achievement amongst everyone there, it was a triumphant moment. I had a go and it was, lets say, pitiful, no whip cracking for me. Mick also kindly donated his DVD and a whip for the auction at Hibiscus later today. He was a great guy, very skilled and very humble and kind, thanks Mick!


Tanya is our tourism superstar!  We’re not sure where she finds the time, but she also volunteers for a number of charities and the NT equivalent of the SES.  I have no trouble picturing her hanging out of a chopper rescuing a wayward tourist.  Tanya got us hotel rooms and airport transfers and a host of other things!  



Sam’s phone never stops ringing, and today I was reminded that he will answer it whenever possible, even when he is busy. Someone presented him with a snake at today at Raintree park, and at first he recoiled (as anyone should when someone puts a snake around their neck – in my opinion), but he became accustomed to it after a little while and was even answering the phone and conducting business as usual – with a snake wrapped around his neck. This ride is really opening his mind and opening up to a whole range of opportunities and challenges that one doesn’t normal face in everyday life. I love that he will try anything in the name of Love Your Sister.


Sam’s friend from forever ago, and our very first Darwin Helper!  Raintree Park is Sophie’s doing, and most of it single-handedly.  Thanks Sophie, Raintree Park was a very special event and we couldn’t have done it without you.



Keep informed on TwitterFacebook and Instagram 


Of course, please continue your support by donating!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Sam and Connie read every comment.