-->

Sunday 7 July 2013

Connie's Diary: Mornington Secondary College

Mornington Secondary College


Mornington Secondary College is one of the schools Sam and I attended when we were kids. Before Launching Love Your Sister we contacted all of our old schools to see if their current students would like to participate in the launch. Mornington jumped at the chance, they had T-shirts made and they made big pink flags, the 40 member strong drum corps played drums and 350 students attended the launch to cheer Sam on. Their support has been incredible and Sam and I are both interested in seeing how they are going. So it was a privilege for me to attend a special Love Your Sister Assembly at Mornington Secondary College on Friday 24th May.




The drum corps marched the students into the hall, and then did some drumming and marching around the hall. The choir sang the national anthem and 3 separate bands each played a song each. A solo saxophonist played a song to a funny clip, the aerobics club performed and some of the students and the principal made speeches. Hanging on the wall in the background was a huge banner with big letters spelling out my name in pink that was made by the textiles class. It was incredibly moving to have a whole assembly dedicated to Love Your Sister.


The Students at Mornington Secondary College have pledged to match Sam dollar for kilometre, thereby aiming to raise $15000 throughout the year, while Sam pedals 15 000kms around the country. They have raised over $4600 so far through a swimathon, sausage sizzles and cake stalls. The whole school community is getting behind Sam and Love Your Sister with such enthusiasm.


I saw so many students excelling in drama, public speaking, music and sport. They have worked hard to develop these skills and are proud of their achievements. It gives me great hope for the future that young people are dedicated to their education, keen and interested in the world around them, and are so socially responsible and involved. I am so impressed with everything I saw at Mornington Secondary College.


I did a quick speech, but I was so nervous I didn’t do very well. It was a learning experience for me, I can do better at this next time. I felt a little inadequate next to the amazing students who excelled at public speaking and moved me to tears with their inspirational words and speeches. It was somehow so daunting talking to 1300 students all at once. Sam says he gets nervous every time he does an interview or a speech, and it seems silly because on the outside he appears so confident, but I have seen him psych himself up for it and get into the groove before interviews and speeches, he somehow finds the zone. I have to learn to do that, mental note, ask Sam for tips on how to be confident and not freak out when speaking in public.


Reilly


I got to meet a lot of the students after the assembly. There was lots of emotion, some of the students were crying, which made me emotional. I was talking to the students, asking them how school was, how the fundraising was going and telling them how much I loved the assembly. Then I met Reilly and I asked her if she had been affected by cancer. She told me that she had lost her father to melanoma 2 years ago. My heart fell into my boots, I was so sad for her. She is an amazing young woman, strong and gentle and remembers her father very fondly. It really touched me talking to her about her Dad and her experience with cancer. Although it was painful for her, her strength shone through, and it gave me hope for my kids for the future. If Reilly can cope, and be strong and focused at school and she remembers her dad, then maybe my kids will be OK after I’m gone and they will stay on the rails, and importantly for me, they might remember me. When I was diagnosed Willoughby was 4 (it was his birthday) and Hammy was about to turn 3. Our mum died when I was 4 and Sam was 3 and we have no memories of her. I was so afraid that I would die and they would have no memories of me, just like Sam and I with Mum, but they are growing up now, they are both at school and every day I get to spend with them is another day that we build memories together.



Reilly, you touched my heart and I am inspired by your strength, I am sure your Dad would be incredibly proud of you.



Keep informed on TwitterFacebook and Instagram 


Of course, please continue your support by donating!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Sam and Connie read every comment.