-->

Friday 16 May 2014

Mothers Day, Canberra, 10th May 2014

As much fun as I had on the cruise, I really missed hubby and the littl’uns. So it was perfect timing that I got home the day before Mother’s Day. They couldn’t wait until Sunday and gave me flowers and chocolates as soon as we got home as an early Mother’s Day present. But the real present was being home and healthy, and with my boys.


When I was first diagnosed as terminal I was given about 6-12 months to live. The cancer was thriving and very aggressive, and it seemed that nothing would stop it from bringing me down, until we stumbled upon a chemotherapy drug that seems to have turned off the cancer and made it inactive for a little while. So the cancer has been stable for quite a while now, and it has given me many precious moments with my kids that I never thought I would be blessed with.


Mother’s Day this year was no exception. I was absolutely showered with cuddles and if hugs alone could cure cancer, I would be better by now. They might not cure cancer, but their little hugs give me so much joy. I am just so happy that I have been able to survive this long, to see Willoughby and Hamilton grow from toddlers into big primary school aged boys. I am so thankful that the Xeloda halted the cancer in its tracks for a bit so I can enjoy this for a bit longer.




 



Of all the Facebook messages, tweets and emails we get from people, the ones that really affect me are the ones from other Mum’s fighting cancer. It almost stings to read about their stories and I am inspired by their strength and determination to hang around for as long as possible for their kids. So this Mother’s Day I would just like to say that I thought of all you Mum’s out there fighting this awful disease, and hoped that you get better and can put this cancer thing behind you. For the Mum’s like me, with a terminal diagnosis I hope your day was as special as mine was and that the little moments with your youngsters give you something special to get you through the hard times.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Sam and Connie read every comment.